Shopify Ajax API
The Ajax API provides a suite of lightweight REST API endpoints for development of Shopify themes.
Possible uses of the Ajax API include:
- Add products to the cart and update the cart item counter.
- Display related product recommendations.
- Suggest products and collections to visitors as they type in a search field.
See the Ajax API reference for a full list of available API endpoints.
Making requests to the API
The Ajax API accepts two types of HTTP requests:
GETrequests to read cart and some product data
POSTrequests to update the cart for the current session
For instance, to fetch the current contents of the cart, send a client-side request to the store’s
Requirements and limitations
- This is an unauthenticated API. It doesn’t require access tokens or API keys to access.
- There are no hard rate limits on the Ajax API. It’s still subject to Shopify’s standard API abuse-prevention measures.
- All API responses return JSON-formatted data.
- The Ajax API can’t be used to read any customer or order data, or update any store data. If you need more extensive access, check the Admin API.