Shopify Storefront API
Storefront API gives you full creative control to add Shopify buying experiences anywhere your customers are, including websites, apps, and video games. Storefront API is useful when Shopify merchants have custom requirements not met by existing channels like online store or POS.
Access product information, create customer orders, and check out purchases programmatically. Use client libraries from Shopify’s suite of Buy SDKs to work with Storefront API, or roll your own client.
- Sell products from a Shopify store through a non-Shopify website
- Build a standalone app for a single merchant, using Shopify as the underlying commerce platform
- Sell products directly through videogames and other experiences created with Unity
- Storefront API is available in GraphQL. There’s no REST API for Storefront.
- This is a versioned API. Updates are released quarterly.
- Apps must explicitly request relevant access scopes from merchants during installation.
- Apps that enable Storefront API access must authenticate as usual.
- Storefront API itself is unauthenticated, meaning all users have read-only access, with no username or password required.
- Storefront API uses a leaky bucket algorithm to enforce its rate limit. Unlike most Shopify APIs, however, this limit is enforced on the IP address of the buyer, not the ID of the merchant’s shop.
- You can’t use Storefront API to duplicate existing Shopify functionality — be sure to check the API terms of service before you start.
You can't use Shopify Plus bot protection through the Storefront API.
You can use the following links to get started with the Storefront API:
- Getting started with the Storefront API - Learn how to authenticate with the Storefront API and access the Storefront API endpoint so you can start sending queries.
- Query root reference page - The entry point to query the GraphQL Storefront API. This provides access to the set of types that can be queried for using the API.
Shopify’s collection of Storefront client libraries allow you to easily access Storefront API on a variety of platforms.