Testing a payments app
You can install your payments app on a development store to test it. This guide describes how to test and enable a development preview of your payments app.
- You've created payments app.
- You've put your store is in test mode.
- You've created a development store.
- You've submitted your payments app extension and have had it approved and published configuration version.
Step 1: Fill out the testing instructions for your payments app extension
- Fill out the Testing instructions on the app listing with the following details:
- The credentials to enable installing the payments app for testing. For example, activation codes and login credentials.
- The instructions on how to process a test payment and refund
- A description of specific testing scenarios:
- Installments or deferred payments
- 3D Secure authentication, if applicable
- A screencast of how your payments app or payment flow works on each of the supported browsers.
Step 2: Install your payments app on a development store
You can install your app on a development store to test it.
- From your Partner Dashboard, go to Apps, and then click on the app you want to test.
- On the app page, click on More actions, and then select Test on development store.
- Select which store you want to install the app on from the list.
- Click Install unlisted app.
Step 3: Enable development store preview
You can enable the development store preview to test your changes quickly by using the draft version configuration instead of the published version on the development stores where your app is installed. This is useful to avoid going through the approval process to publish multiple versions during development.
When you test your payments app on a development store, the app needs to use the draft version configuration. If you disable the development preview, then the development store needs to revert to the published version.
- From your Partner Dashboard, go to Apps then click on the app you want to enable a development preview for.
- On the app page, click Extensions.
- Select your Offsite payment provider.
From the extension page, in the Working draft section, under Development store preview, click Enable.
Test mode simplifies the process of creating a payments app and allows merchants to test the integration before they begin processing live transactions.
Payments apps need to support test mode. When a store is in test mode, requests from Shopify include the
test attribute. If
test is set to
true, then the payment is processed as a test payment and no actual transaction is made.