Shopify Admin API
As the primary way that apps interact with Shopify, the Admin API allows you to add your own features to the Shopify user experience. Considerations when using the Shopify Admin include:
- The Admin API supports both GraphQL and REST.
- This is a versioned API. Updates are released quarterly and supported API versions are listed in the release notes.
- Apps must explicitly request the relevant access scopes from the user during installation.
- Apps must authenticate to interact with the Admin API.
- The Admin API enforces rate limits on all requests. Note that there are different rate-limiting methods for GraphQL and REST. All apps connecting to the Admin API are subject to Shopify’s API Terms of Service.
Getting startedAnchor link to section titled "Getting started"
Explore the following resources to get started with the GraphQL Admin and REST Admin APIs.
Getting started with the GraphQL Admin and REST Admin APIs
Learn how to generate a Shopify access token, authenticate with the GraphQL Admin and REST Admin APIs, and start sending requests.
Working with the Shopify Admin APIAnchor link to section titled "Working with the Shopify Admin API"
- Read and write Shopify store information, including products, inventory, orders, shipping, and more.
- Extend existing Shopify functionality with apps.
- Connect store inventory to other marketplaces with channels.
- Add new features to the Shopify admin or Shopify Point of Sale (POS) with app extensions.
Reference documentationAnchor link to section titled "Reference documentation"
Shopify provides a range of software tools and libraries to speed up your development process.