Merchants might decide to sell or gift NFTs. Currently, NFTs are most popularly being used to demonstrate ownership of media such as digital art, but they have many other uses for both merchants and customers. Merchants might consider using NFTs on their Shopify store in the following ways:
- Sell NFTs through their Shopify store.
- Offer free NFTs to reward their customers for purchases, engagement, and loyalty.
- Offer exclusive products, discounts, or early access to product launches based on ownership of certain NFTs through tokengated commerce.
- Increase potential audience through tokengated collaborations with other brands through your online stores, or in person events.
- Create customer segments based on NFT ownership for marketing acquisition and retention campaigns.
- Provide a certificate of authenticity or an NFT receipt with a customer’s purchase.
NFTs and blockchain technology are continually evolving, and the full impact and use cases are still being explored.
Merchants who are selling NFTs are required to get approval from Shopify before selling through Shopify Payments. Developers who support merchants with NFT distribution are required to gate this functionality and restrict the ability to mint, gift, or list NFTs for sale to approved merchants.
Learn more about merchant eligibility.
Developers listing and minting NFTs on behalf of merchantsAnchor link to section titled "Developers listing and minting NFTs on behalf of merchants"
Developers who support merchants in minting, gifting, or listing NFTs for sale must meet the following requirements:
- Surface the application form to merchants either during the installation process of the app or within the app redirect to the application form when the merchant tries to access these features, and doesn't yet have an approved status.
- No additional development work is required by app developers if you wish the form to surface during the installation of your app.
- If you wish to redirect to the application form within your app, you must verify if the form needs to be surfaced based on the merchant’s current status, and in relevant cases, direct the merchant to
- App developers will be asked their preference of where they want the application form to surface during the app approval process. If you decide to change your mind about where the application form surfaces, email email@example.com
- Block merchants from listing NFTs while Shopify Payments is active in the shop until the merchant is SellApproved (
sellApproved: true) and/or GiftingApproved (
- Comply with the blockchain app partner requirements.
- Learn how to check a merchant's eligibility to sell NFTs by using the GraphQL Admin API.
- Learn more about how merchant’s are leveraging NFTs.