Getting started with POS UI extensions
This tutorial shows you how to set up your development environment so that you can begin developing a POS UI extension.
What you'll learnAnchor link to section titled "What you'll learn"
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to do the following tasks:
- Generate a POS UI extension using Shopify CLI.
- Run the local extension in your development store.
- Test your app in Shopify POS.
RequirementsAnchor link to section titled "Requirements"
Step 1: Generate a POS UI ExtensionAnchor link to section titled "Step 1: Generate a POS UI Extension"
Navigate to your app directory.
@shopify/apppackages are using the most up to date versions.
Generate your POS UI extension template.
POS UIunder the Point-of-Sale menu.
Give your extension a working name.
Select the programming language that you want to work in.
Step 2: Run the local extension in your development storeAnchor link to section titled "Step 2: Run the local extension in your development store"
After you create your extension, you can start a local development server so that you can run your extension in your development store.
When you start the server, Shopify CLI uses Cloudflare to create a secure tunnel. Cloudflare gives your app extension a unique URL.
Install your project's depdencies using the command from your package manager of choice.
Start your local server for your extension in the app directory.
Follow the prompts to associate your extension with your app and development store. Your development server should now be running.
To learn more about the processes that execute when you run
dev, refer to the list of Shopify CLI commands.
Step 3: Install your app and preview your extensionAnchor link to section titled "Step 3: Install your app and preview your extension"
You can install your app and preview your extension in Shopify POS from the developer console.
With your server running, press
pto open the developer console.
In the developer console page, complete the following tasks:
- To install your app, click on the preview link for the POS UI extension.
- To preview your extension, select the View mobile button. This generates a deep link or QR code.
- Using a mobile device with the Shopify POS app installed, scan the QR code that was generated from your developer console. This opens Shopify POS on your device, and installs the extension. If your extension's URL changes, then you need to re-add the smart grid extension tile.
You can refer to the list of the available POS UI Extension versions to see if you are using the latest one.