Oxygen is a hosting platform for Hydrogen storefronts, which is accessed through the Hydrogen channel. Oxygen maintains server infrastructure and enables you to manage and deploy Hydrogen storefronts. You can deploy a Hydrogen storefront to different Oxygen environments, enabling you to preview and share different versions of the storefront.
This guide describes how Oxygen works and provides some example use cases for deploying with Oxygen.
Use cases for OxygenAnchor link to section titled "Use cases for Oxygen"
- You want to host a Hydrogen storefront.
- You want to share a Hydrogen storefront preview before it goes live.
- You want to compare and discuss different versions of a Hydrogen storefront in isolated environments before choosing a version for production.
- You want to test changes to a Hydrogen storefront without affecting the main version of your storefront.
- You want to experiment with Hydrogen storefronts before you begin your development of your Hydrogen storefront.
How Oxygen worksAnchor link to section titled "How Oxygen works"
After you install the Hydrogen channel, it prompts you to create a new Hydrogen Git repository, or to connect an existing Git repository that contains the source code for a Hydrogen storefront.
When the Hydrogen channel has access to a Git repository that contains Hydrogen storefront code, Oxygen creates environments that enable you to manage different versions of a Hydrogen storefront without affecting other versions of the storefront.
When you push changes to a connected Git repository, Oxygen creates a deployment in the assigned environment for a branch. Deployments include preview URLs that enable you to quickly preview and share your build progress with others.
When you're ready to launch with Oxygen, you can toggle the privacy of your environment URL to go live with your Hydrogen storefront in seconds.
Oxygen also provides worker bundles and runtime logs to help monitor and debug issues with your deployments.
Learn more about the Oxygen architecture, and the protection and compliance measures that Oxygen has in place to ensure the security of your data.
LimitationsAnchor link to section titled "Limitations"
Oxygen limitationsAnchor link to section titled "Oxygen limitations"
- The size of your worker file needs to be less than 5MB.
- Your worker is limited to 30s of CPU time.
The static assets in your Hydrogen storefront must meet the following file size restrictions:
- Images can be a maximum of 20MB
- Videos can be a maximum of 1GB
- 3D models can be a maximum of 500MB
- Other files can be a maximum of 20MB
Hydrogen channel limitationsAnchor link to section titled "Hydrogen channel limitations"
Sales channels represent the different platforms where a merchant sells products. You can install one Hydrogen channel that supports creating and managing multiple Hydrogen storefronts.
You can choose only the Hydrogen channel as your product publishing target. For example, if you've added the Hydrogen channel and you've created a Hydrogen storefront for Canada, USA, and Australia, then all storefronts will have the same products.
You can't publish a product so that it exists only on certain Hydrogen storefronts. If you don't want a product to sell on your Hydrogen storefronts, then you need to remove the Hydrogen channel from the product's availability.
- Get started with Oxygen by installing the Hydrogen channel and the Shopify GitHub app.