Manage Theme Kit access
The Theme Kit Access app allows you to securely create and manage passwords that developers need to use with Theme Kit. This guide explains how to provide Theme Kit with access to themes and how to give that access to developers.
RequirementsAnchor link to section titled "Requirements"
To manage Theme Kit access, you need to have access to the associated store through one of the following roles, which must have the corresponding permissions:
|Store owner||Not applicable||Not applicable|
|Staff||Administration permissions||Edit permissions (including Add and remove staff)|
|Online store permissions||Themes|
|Collaborator||Online store permissions||Themes|
How Theme Kit access worksAnchor link to section titled "How Theme Kit access works"
The Theme Kit Access app is available as a free download from the Shopify App Store.
After you install the Theme Kit Access app on your store, you can create passwords to share with developers that would like to use Theme Kit to access your themes. The app generates passwords that are scoped to only grant developers with write access to themes (
Accessing Theme Kit through a private appAnchor link to section titled "Accessing Theme Kit through a private app"
Previously, Theme Kit access was only available through a private app. Users generated Shopify API credentials using a private app to connect Theme Kit to a store.
Users that continue to access Theme Kit using a private app won't lose access. However, we strongly recommend the more secure method of managing Theme Kit access using the Theme Kit Access app.
Install the Theme Kit Access appAnchor link to section titled "Install the Theme Kit Access app"
To manage access to Theme Kit, install the Theme Kit Access app on your store.
- Go to the Theme Kit Access app page on the Shopify App Store.
- On the Theme Kit Access app page, click Add app.
- In your Shopify admin, to authorize the use of the app, click Install app.
After the app is installed, you can view and use it from the Apps page in your Shopify admin.
Create a passwordAnchor link to section titled "Create a password"
To grant a developer access to Theme Kit, you can create a password. The password is sent to the developer's email, which contains a link to the password. The link expires after 7 days or after the password has been viewed by the developer. The developer can view the password only once.
- From the Theme Kit Access app, click Create Theme Kit password.
- Enter the contact details for the developer that is working on your theme and click Create password.
Resend a passwordAnchor link to section titled "Resend a password"
If the developer didn't receive the password or if their invitation expired, then you can resend the email containing the link to the password.
- From the Passwords page in the Theme Kit Access app, click Details next to developer that needs the password re-sent.
- Click Resend email.
The password is sent to the developer's email address. The email that contains the password expires after 7 days or after the password has been viewed by the developer.
Delete a passwordAnchor link to section titled "Delete a password"
You can delete a developer's password if they no longer need access to Theme Kit. Deleting a password revokes access to Theme Kit and to the store's themes. If you wanted to grant access to the developer again, then you would need to create a new password.
- From the Passwords page in the Theme Kit Access app, click Delete next to the developer whose access you want to remove.
- Click Delete to confirm removing the developer's password.
- Get started with Theme Kit.
- Familiarize yourself with the configuration variables available and their accepted values in Theme Kit.
- Learn about the different commands that you can use in Theme Kit to execute key operations.
- Learn how to identify and resolve common issues in Theme Kit.