Getting started with Theme Kit
Theme Kit is a cross-platform command line tool that you can use to build Shopify themes. To get up and running quickly with Theme Kit, follow the steps in this guide.
- You have access to a Shopify store.
- You're familiar with the basics of the command line.
Step 1: Install Theme Kit
You can install Theme Kit using the command line on the following operating systems:
Use the following installation script to automatically download and install the latest version of Theme Kit:
Use Homebrew to install Theme Kit by running the following commands:
The Apple M1 architecture is not yet natively supported, but Theme Kit will work if you start the terminal with the Open using Rosetta option.
Install Theme Kit with Chocolatey by running the following command:
Step 2: Get a Theme Kit password
After you install Theme Kit, you need to get a Theme Kit password to connect Theme Kit to your store and manage your template files. The store owner or a staff member with the appropriate permissions can create a Theme Kit password for you using the Theme Kit Access app.
- Ask the store owner or a staff member with the appropriate permissions to create a Theme Kit password for you using the Theme Kit Access app.
- Go to your email inbox and open the invitation containing your Theme Kit password.
- In the invitation, click Get Theme Kit password.
- Copy the password. You’ll use it in the next step.
The link expires after 7 days or after you have viewed the password. You can only view the password once.
Step 3: Connect to an existing theme
To connect to an existing theme, you'll need the theme's ID. The easiest way to get your theme's ID is to use the
theme get command. Make sure to replace
your-password with your Theme Kit password from step 2 and
your-store with your store's domain name:
theme get command returns a list of themes and IDs that exist on the store.
Step 4: Set up your config file
config.yml file creates a local connection to your Shopify store’s theme. You can use the previous information you collected (Theme Kit password and theme ID) to create a
config.yml file in your theme, and then download the theme locally.
Create a directory for your theme:
Navigate to the new directory:
To download a specific theme, and create the
config.ymlfile that connects this theme with a local version in the directory you just created, run the following command:
Step 5: Create a new theme
To create a new theme, run the following command:
theme new command does the following:
- Generates a basic theme template locally
- Creates a new theme in your Shopify store
- Uploads the new files to your Shopify store
- Creates or updates your
config.ymlfile with the configuration for your new theme
Step 6: Push updates to your theme
Now that you've established a connection to a Shopify theme, you can run the following command in your theme directory:
theme watch command instructs Theme Kit to watch for any changes made to your local files, and automatically pushes changes to your theme in the connected Shopify store. To close the watch connection, type
- Build and customize your themes faster using component-based Liquid examples.
- Use the Liquid Cheat Sheet as a quick reference while you build your themes.
- Access our comprehensive Liquid reference for detailed documentation on Liquid tags, objects, and filters.
- Learn about the different commands that you can use in Theme Kit to execute key operations.
- Familiarize yourself with the configuration variables and their accepted values in Theme Kit.
- Learn how to identify and resolve common issues in Theme Kit.