Getting started building payments apps
This getting started guide is part of the overall payments app process, which includes the following steps:
- Discover - Review how payments apps work and the various requirements.
- Build - Refer to this guide to walk through each step in the build process.
- Launch - Follow the launch checklist to submit your app to Shopify.
The process of building a payments app and having it approved by Shopify includes the following steps:
- Apply to become a payment provider, and review the Additional Terms Applicable to Payments Developers section of the Shopify Partner Program Agreement. If you aren’t a Shopify Partner yet, then sign up to be one before asking to be a payments partner.
- If you're approved to be a payments partner, then you'll be granted access to Shopify’s payments ecosystem. You'll need to sign a revenue share agreement.
- Build your payments app and configure the app extension.
- Have your payments app extension configuration reviewed.
- Test your app on a development store.
- (Steps 6-9) Submit your payments app for approval so it can be installed by merchants. If you're approved, then merchants will be able to install your payments app.
These steps are illustrated in the diagram below:
Build the payments app
To build a payments app, you need to create a public app in your Partner Dashboard and then configure the app extension in the app settings. Merchants install your public app using OAuth in their Shopify admin. For more information, refer to Onboarding a merchant to a payments app. After you've created and configured the app, you can move on to designing its flows and features.
To create a payments app:
Design your payments app's flows and features
Build merchant onboarding
The merchant experience of payments apps involves the discovery, installation, configuration, and activation of your app. Each step of this experience should be crafted using Shopify best practices. For more information, refer to Onboarding a merchant to a payments app.
Test your payments app
Before publishing your app and submitting it for review, you can test your app by installing it on a development store. When using a development shop, the payment gateway must have test mode enabled, or payments are blocked.
Submit your payments app for approval
Before they can be installed on a non development store, all payments apps need to be approved by Shopify. You can prepare your app for review by following the app approval guidelines. If your app is exclusively for testing, then skip this step.
- Onboarding a merchant to a payments app
- General transaction requirements
- Processing a payment
- Processing refunds
- Capturing an authorized payment
- Voiding an authorized payment