App extensions surface the functionality of your app where and when merchants need it most.
For example, your app’s actions can appear as dropdown items in Shopify admin for orders, products, customers, and other resources. You can produce interfaces that easily mimic the Shopify look-and-feel, and make your app seamlessly appear in Shopify POS.
App extensions are useful for apps that require quick, frequent actions from merchants.
Without an app extension, merchants interact directly with your app. Your app relays information to Shopify that gets surfaced back to the merchant through your app.
With an app extension, merchants interact with Shopify. Shopify relays information to your app that gets surfaced back to the merchant through your app extension in Shopify.
- App extensions require your app to use Shopify App Bridge.
- Apps can extend features only to certain specific areas of Shopify user interfaces.
- Apps using extensions have all the same standard authentication requirements and rate limits.
App extension reviews
Some app extensions need to be reviewed and approved before they are made available in Shopify. Other app extensions are made available as soon you save them. If an app extension needs to be reviewed, then you see Submit for review instead of Save when you create the app extension.
The review process for app extensions is similar to the App review process. After you submit your app extension for review, Shopify sends you emails with your results.
- Add a new app extension
- Create a navigation link with app extensions
- Add an admin link to the Shopify admin with app extensions
- Add a bulk action link to the Shopify admin with app extensions