Getting technical updates
If you create a private app from the Shopify admin, or if you have a Partner account, then you need to provide emergency developer contact details. Shopify collects these details so that we can communicate critical, targeted technical information to developers who maintain Shopify apps. This article explains what you should expect from these communications to help you decide who should receive these updates.
When will Shopify contact you?
Developer contact details are required so that we can inform you of backwards-incompatible changes in the API version that your app is using, or a bug or outage that's affecting a significant number of merchants. Below are some possible situations when we might contact you:
- We are planning a change to our API that directly affects one of your apps.
- Your app is using a deprecated endpoint, which might be affecting your app's functionality or the merchant experience.
- Your app has a bug or experiences an outage that's affecting merchants’ stores.
In each of these situations, our primary method of communication is email. In the second and third situations, we might also contact you by using your developer contact phone number to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
Who should be your emergency developer contact?
For Partners, we recommend that your developer contact is an individual or team who monitors their inbox regularly. These communications are intended for developers responsible for maintaining apps that interact with Shopify’s API, and provide information that's useful for a technical audience that's familiar with Shopify API versioning.
If you're a merchant and you’re setting up an app on behalf of your developer, then you should ask your developer for the best contact information to use. You can direct them to this article to provide them with more information.
Update your emergency developer contact details
The process of updating your developer contact details is different depending on whether you're updating details for a Partner organization or a private app.
Update the contact details for a Partner organization
- Log in to your Partner Dashboard.
- Go to Settings.
- In the Emergency developer contact information section, enter a developer contact email address and phone number.
- Click Save.
Update the contact details for a private app
- From your Shopify admin, go to Apps.
- Click Manage private apps.
- Click the name of the app that you want to update.
- In the App details section, enter an emergency developer email address.
- Click Save.