Select a distribution method
Before you can share your app with merchants, you need to select a distribution method in the Partner Dashboard.
The way you choose to distribute your app depends on its purpose and your audience. You can't change the distribution method after you select it, so make sure that you understand the different capabilities and requirements of each type.
When you create an app through the Partner Dashboard or using Shopify CLI, you can select from the following distribution methods:
- Shopify App Store: Select this method to make your app public. You can distribute or sell your app to many merchants through the Shopify App Store using this method.
- Single-merchant install link: Select this method if you've built a custom app that you want distribute to only one merchant using a link.
If you have separate apps for development and production in the Partner Dashboard, then you should select the distribution method in the production app.
Select a distribution methodAnchor link to section titled "Select a distribution method"
- From the Partner Dashboard, go to Apps and then select your app from the list.
- In the sidebar, click Distribution.
- Select a distribution method from the table, and then click Confirm.
If you selected Single-merchant install link, then you can enter the merchant's myshopify.com domain and then click Generate link to create the merchant's install link.
If you selected Shopify App Store, then you can start creating your listing and, when your app is ready, submit your app to the app review team for review. Learn more about submitting an app to the Shopify App Store.
Install a custom app on multiple Shopify Plus storesAnchor link to section titled "Install a custom app on multiple Shopify Plus stores"
Usually, an app distributed with a merchant install link, also known as a custom app, can be installed only on one store. However, Shopify Plus service Partners can install a custom app on multiple Shopify Plus stores owned by a single Shopify Plus merchant.
The following steps only apply if you selected Single-merchant install link as your app distribution method.
- From the app's page in your Partner Dashboard, click Distribution.
- In the Multiple store installs section, click Request access.
In the Shopify Plus section, click Request access.
After the next step, your app will be restricted to Shopify Plus stores, and can be installed only on the stores of a single Shopify Plus merchant.
Click Request access again to confirm.
Copy the installation link from the Plus merchant install link section.
After you've copied the installation link, you can share it with the merchant so that they can use it to install your app. For example, you can share the installation link by email with the merchant.