Shopify POS App SDK
Create powerful integrated app experiences for retail
The Shopify POS App SDK allows you to embed your web apps directly inside of Shopify POS as well as make use of native GUI features. You can create public apps for the Shopify App Store as well as custom and private apps for the specific needs of your retail clients.
What can I do with Shopify POS SDK
Shopify POS lets you accept orders in person, swipe credit cards, and view your orders and products. With the Shopify POS App SDK you can extend or add new features to Shopify POS for the iPad. This opens up endless opportunities to augment Shopify POS with your own solutions for retail businesses.
There are three types of integrations with the POS SDK: full-screen apps, Edit Cart, and Order Completion. Full screen apps are launched from the App Grid, which is accessed through the Apps button on the side navigation menu. All installed apps appear on the grid and become tappable buttons. The other three integrations make use of a specific UI element where you can integrate your app. You can find out more information on these integrations below.
There are three different types of POS app integrations to build:
Full Screen Apps
- Apps in the App Grid can go full-screen with a webview, opening up mobile use cases for your web apps. Apps are accessed by tapping Store, and then Apps.
- All integrations must support an action on the App Grid, even if the primary use case is in the Edit Cart action. A few examples of App Grid use cases are:
- Support. Explain how users can get help
- Settings. Let users configure your app
- Dashboards and Reports. Let users see summarized information about your app.
Edit Cart Action
- With this integration you can add customer information, create custom discounts (e.g. Buy One, Get One) and add properties to the cart. For example, a membership app could open a modal to enable searching for a member and adding that member to the order. You can also apply discounts, add line items and properties at a line item level.
- This action is available via the edit cart overflow menu which located in the top right corner of the app.
Order Complete Action
- With this integration you can access your app from the order complete action menu which is available once your order is finalized.
- You can use this integration to create apps that collect customer feedback, enable social sharing, print custom receipts, and more.