Work on an existing app
You can collaborate with other developers to build a Shopify CLI app.
RequirementsAnchor link to section titled "Requirements"
Step 1: Install the project dependenciesAnchor link to section titled "Step 1: Install the project dependencies"
- If you haven't already, clone the app that you want to work on, and then navigate to the project directory.
Run your package manager's
installcommand to install the project's dependencies. Shopify CLI is a dependency of all apps created with Shopify 3.0 or higher.
Step 2: Verify the installationAnchor link to section titled "Step 2: Verify the installation"
After you install the dependencies for the app, check the version to make sure that Shopify CLI is available.
Step 3: Preview the appAnchor link to section titled "Step 3: Preview the app"
After you install your app's dependencies locally, you can work with it by building the app and starting a local development server.
Shopify CLI uses ngrok to create a tunnel that allows your app to be accessed using a unique HTTPS URL.
- Navigate to your newly-created app directory.
To preview your app, run the following command:
The CLI walks you through the following:
- Logging into your Shopify Partner account and, if needed, selecting a Partner organization
- Connecting your app to an existing app in the Partner Dashboard, or creating a new app
- Storing your ngrok token
- Creating a tunnel between your local environment and the development store using ngrok
- Installing your app on a development store
To learn more about the processes that are executed when you run
dev, refer to the Shopify CLI command reference.